Getting braces will help you to achieve the smile you always wanted, this is as long as you still have good dental hygiene throughout the process. Roger’s Center for Dentistry can help you in the process of maintaining your good dental hygiene while you have braces. Follow the tips below to help you in properly brushing your teeth.
- Start the brushing process by first rinsing out your mouth to get some of the loose food particles out of your mouth.
- Clean your toothbrush with hot water to remove any food particles from your previous brushing.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short strokes. Be sure to brush between the wiring and the teeth. You also want to brush the outer surfaces, inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces.
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 or 3 minutes getting every surface of your teeth and gums.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
- To keep your teeth thoroughly clean make sure you brush after each meal to remove food particles. If you don’t have time to brush try to at least swish out your mouth with water.
Now that you have finished brushing your teeth, you can continue good oral hygiene by flossing your teeth.
- Thread the floss under the archwire.
- Remove the threader.
- Floss each side of each tooth in the space.
- Pull the floss out of the space with one hand as you release the floss with your other hand.
- Repeat this method between all of your teeth.
Following the steps above and doing it every day at least twice a day will help you to maintain good oral hygiene while you have braces. While it might be an adjustment at first you will soon get used to this new process. For more tips on oral hygiene and braces make sure you make an appointment with your dentist at Roger’s Center for Dentistry in Spanish Fork.